Happy Belated National Honey Bee Day! Have you ever thought of becoming a beekeeper? No time is better than the present! With the proper preparation and guidance, beekeeping can be an enjoyable and fulfilling hobby. As first time beekeepers, we were overwhelmed with the amount of products and information we found on the internet. We have gone to great lengths to compile a concise list of the best products and reference materials to ensure that New Beekeeper Supplies can help make your first year in beekeeping both successful and uncomplicated.
While the 2015 season is coming to an end, with beekeepers starting to think ahead for the winter season, it is never too early to start preparing for next year. We suggest using the following as a guide for the upcoming 2016 season:
- January- weigh the pros and cons of package bees vs. NUC bees (we will discuss in an upcoming post) and order them from a local supplier if possible
- February- check out our recommended books and watch our comprehensive section of how to videos
- March- order equipment and find a local beekeeper to help you along the way
- April- assemble and paint the exterior of your hive
- May- install your new bees into their new hive
In the upcoming months we will post on many of the questions new beekeepers commonly ask, as well as address issues we faced in our first year as beekeepers. Please feel free to comment with any questions you might have and we will be happy to answer them in future posts! Make sure to follow our page to make sure you don’t miss out on some great information!